You’re getting a new roof! You’re likely to be excited about this opportunity to give your home a totally new look, but also a little scared about making choices that you’ll need to live with over a long time. Here are five important points you might want to consider before choosing a shingle color.
- Your location’s climate. Your choice of shingle color can have a significant impact on the costs of heating or cooling your home. Light-colored shingles (often a cool roof) can deflect sunlight to keep temperatures cooler in the home in hotter climates. Dark shingles, on the other hand, can help homes stay warm in colder climates, both by absorbing heat and helping melt snow and ice on your roof faster. Shingle color can affect the temperature of your attic by 20 to 40 degrees!
- Color coordination. Echoing colors found in the other elements of your home, such as the bricks, siding, stone, stucco or trim, will help make for better cohesiveness. Consider matching dark gray or black roofing with a gray or blue house, or brown, cream and tan siding with brown shingles or a mix of cream and brown.
- Your architectural style. Your choice of colors for your home should take your home’s architecture into consideration. Also, remember that dark colors make a home look smaller, and light colors make a home look larger.
- Your neighborhood. Make sure your home conforms with the homeowners’ association and subdivision rules and covenants. Ensure that your roof doesn’t exactly match or clash with your neighbor’s roof. If you want your home to appear unique, take steps to ensure its “uniqueness” doesn’t also make it stand out in the wrong way.
- Available colors. Make sure to check if the color/brand you want is available in your area. Take advantage of color visualizer tools that can help you see what different color roofs might look like on your home. Top-notch roofing contractors like Pritchett Bros will even bring samples to your home to view against your brick or siding to help you make better decisions.
Turn to a trusted roofing company like Pritchett Bros for your roof repair, replacement and installation needs. Call us today at (812) 275-3185 to learn more about our products and services, including gutters. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule a free, in-home consultation. We work with homeowners in Bloomington, IN.